Uterine cancer is one of the common cancer among women and unfortunately this cancer is increasing. The surgery can treat the uterus cancer. This surgery is called hysterectomy.
Hysterectomy is used to remove the women’s uterus and treat the uterus cancer.
Hysterectomy has different types.
- Total hysterectomy
During total hysterectomy, the entire uterus will be removed. This is the most common kind of surgery.
- Radical hysterectomy
During this surgery, doctor removes the uterus, vagina and cervix. This surgery is used for women who have cervix cancer.
- Partial hysterectomy
During this surgery, doctor removes the portion of uterus.
- Abdominal hysterectomy
In this surgery, doctor removes the uterus by creating the incisions on abdomen.
- Vaginal hysterectomy
During this surgery, the incisions create inside the vagina and no scars are seen.
Hysterectomy is done under the general anesthesia. The success of the surgery depends on the surgeon’ skill and size of the uterus.
In some cases, there is no need of removing the ovaries, and doctor just removes the uterus. This surgery has direct impact on women’s health, because the hormonal secretion will be continued even until menopause.
Sometime, this surgery is done by removing one ovary, and so the hormonal cure is not needed. But in some patients, both ovaries should remove. In this way, lack of hormonal secretion results in some symptoms such as:
- Hot flash
- Untimely menopause
- Unstable emotional moods
- Inability in doing daily activities
- After surgery, patients should stay at hospital 3- 5 days after the surgery.
- Women should use the prescribed drugs.
- Women recover 4-6 days after the surgery, so, women should rest at home and avoid to do heavy activities.
- Women should avoid smoking.
- Stomach should be empty 24 hours after surgery.
- Women should eat soup, grain and ice cream.
- Women can take a bath 72 hours later.
It should be noted that, the surgical area should be dry.
Pap- Smear is a selective test that used to diagnose the cancer. Then a gynecologist performs some surgeries such as removing some parts if the uterus and then laboratory will determine the samples. Patients with positive results, should do surgery, chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
- Frequent bleeding in uterus
- Uterus and bladder prolapse
- Severe pelvic pain or urine symptoms
- Severe pelvic infections
- Uterus cancer, ovary cancer
Hysterectomy is done for those who are older and won’t able to be pregnant.
To perform surgery, the gynecologist uses one of these 3 following procedures:
- Creating incisions through the abdomen
- Through the vagina and without and abdominal incisions. This procedure have minimal risks and complications.
- Laparoscopy or surgery with minimal incisions and more advantages.
The gynecologist, Dr. Mitra Bahmanpour, believes that the vaginal hysterectomy has short recovery time than the radical hysterectomy.
Dr. Mitra Bahmanpour, Gynecologist
Address: Khalij Fars Building. Next to 18th st. Velenjak. Tehran. Iran
Tell: +9821- 26641827