To perform uterine fibroid embolization, first, a thin and flexible tube called a catheter is placed into a blood vessel in the upper thigh (formal artery). This procedure is done under local anesthesia. The radiologist uses a screen to see the arteries and then moves the catheter to the arteries and blood is supplied to the fibroid.
There is no need to create sutures after embolization. You may feel little pain after procedure, which relieved by antibiotics. There is risk of decreasing amount of blood during period, by is removed 2-3 months later.
Uterine fibroid embolization is used to remove uterine fibroids. Those who:
– Don’t plan to be pregnant in future
– Don’t want to perform hysterectomy
– Have not reached menopause
Are best candidates of this procedure.
Advantages of Uterine fibroid embolization
– This procedure is done under local anesthesia, so there is low risk of complications related to anesthesia drugs.
– This is a procedure with minimal invasive.
– No incisions are remained after embolization.
– All fibroids may be treated at the same time.
– Recurrent of the fibroid is so low after embolization.
Uterine fibroid embolization is a safe and effective procedure which treats uterine fibroids. But it may have some risks as follows:
– Infection. This is the most serious complication of this procedure. Hysterectomy is treat an infected uterus.
– Premature menopause.
– Loss of menstrual period (amenorrhea).
– Pain that lasts for months.
Contact Dr. Mitra Bahmanpour, Gynecologist
Address: Khalij Fars Building. Next to 18th st. Velenjak. Tehran. Iran
Tell: +9821- 26641827